Doors are often left unnoticed in daily life, but it’s important to look for signs of wear. Otherwise, that old door may let more in than it keeps out. If you notice any of the following problems, it’s time to start looking for new doors for your Indiana home.
- Drafts are a big sign that a door needs to be replaced. When the seals around a door age, they can shrink and/or crack. If you’re wondering why your house gets so cold at night, check around all your doors for drafts.
- Squeaky hinges aren’t just annoying—they’re a cry for help. Maintenance and oiling can only go so far. Hinges that are wearing down indicate that the door itself may not be that far behind, and loose hinges mean that your door can be easily forced open.
- If you see visible cracks in your door, you shouldn’t wait another day to start looking for a replacement. Not only do cracks let in bugs and drafts, but they mean that the old door is structurally weak, which poses a safety concern for you and your family.
- A door that scrapes along the floor or ground when you open or close it should be examined. Old doors can warp or sag, causing damage to your floor every time you use the door. Patio doors that scrape in their tracks should also be checked.
Insects and Pests
- If you’re finding an excess amount of ants or other pests inside, they might be waltzing in right through your front door! A door that doesn’t close properly anymore can let in insects, which are not only annoying but can also cause damage or bring germs into your home.
Whether it’s your front door, back door or patio door, wear can be detrimental. While drafts and cracks can raise the power bill, structural damage or warping can compromise the safety of your home. If you need to replace an old lock or you need an entirely new door, Hoosier Windows & Siding can help. We specialize in doors, windows and roofing in Fort Wayne. We can assist you in finding a new door that’s secure and complements the style of your home. Contact us today.